Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Post Marathon Reflections

It has been three weeks since the marathon, and in many ways, it seems like it never even occurred! I took about a ten day break from running, and since then have accumulated about 14 miles over four runs. It felt good to get my legs moving again, and I might embark on some longer mileage this Saturday morning. To keep myself motivated, I signed up for the Disneyland Half Marathon on September 6th. I've heard it's a great race, albeit pricey! I might also register for the local Village Runner 5k on the 4th of July, depending on travel plans.

The biggest challenge I have faced since running the marathon has been around my mental health. The physical soreness only lasted a few days, but mentally I've been up and down for the last two weeks. Things are much more stable now, but I was not prepared for this side effect. I read that post-marathon depression is very common...I just didn't think it would happen to me! Refocusing on my eating habits and frequent short runs has certainly helped.
This being said, I would not shy away from running another full. In fact, I am contemplating Las Vegas in December or Phoenix in January. Well see...

I had the chance to run in Spokane, WA last Friday, which was a welcomed change of scenery. This is my last week of work before a two week vacation, and even though I will probably stick close to home, my goal is to discover some new trails in So Cal. I will provide some pics and reviews based on what I encounter.

No comments: