Sunday, March 15, 2009

Reflections

This last week has been a challenge, in many ways. Not even a month ago, my Uncle was diagnosed with metastatic pancreatic cancer, and was sent home to live with my parents on hospice care. My parents were amazing throughout his time with them, and were both present when he passed away Friday morning. This was much more sudden than we originally anticipated, as he was initially told he had three months to live. I am just so thankful he was not in pain, and died in a peaceful, loving home. So many people are not this fortunate.

I'll be honest. When I decided to join the LLS Team in Training program, my intentions were primarily centered around getting in better shape and running a marathon to celebrate my 30th birthday. While these points are still an important part of why I'm training, my purpose has been significantly enriched by the events of the last month.

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society not only supports cancer research, but provides educational resources for patients and families. I believe that the lack of educational resources (or perhaps lack of awareness around existing resources) is a significant obstacle for so many who suffer from such devastating illnesses. I am proud to raise funds for an organization that funnels resources AND creates awareness/educational opportunities.

On a related but lighter note, I decided to attend group practice Saturday morning for some fresh air and a new activity (other than planning, worrying, and mourning). We ran 10 miles, which is farther than I've ever run. EVER. The route we took in Palos Verdes was very hilly...the slow, gradual kind that made me want to beg any oncoming car for a ride back to my own. I felt fairly strong for the first 7-8 miles, but the last few were definitely challenging. Part of the problem was related to dehydration, as Coach Gail helpfully pointed out. I don't drink enough during my runs, for fear of side aches. At this point I'll risk it in exchange for the dizziness I experienced Saturday. Shot blocks are my new favorite source of nutrition during runs, and I downed 2 packs. Without the ladies in my pace group, there is no way I could finish these runs. They are so supportive and positive.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle =( I'm glad to hear that he was not in pain and that he died peacefully, surrounded by people who love him. I'm sure he's really proud of you're doing =)

And congratulations on the 10 mile run! You kick ass! =)