Monday, July 6, 2009

The Elusive Long Run

I am writing this from the lovely state of WA, where I am enjoying the "working" part of my vacation. My plan is to write and run, and I've been mildly successful with both. My primary frustration at the moment is my lack of motivation in getting a long run on the books. I've logged about 27.5 miles since the marathon. However, the most mileage I've accrued in any one run is about 5. I've read MANY articles on post-marathon recovery and how one should go about rebuilding their base. Some people take an entire month off...others start jogging 3 days after they complete their race. Either way, it's time for me to start with my Saturday long run schedule again.

The good news: TNT alumni runs are beginning! Anyone interested can return to practice in PV on Saturday mornings at 7:30am. This will definitely help with my motivation issues.

The bad(ish) news: I am registered to run the Disneyland Half Marathon on September 6th! I have about 9 weeks to build up my base again. According to the adapted TNT training schedule, I should have ideally logged 8 miles over the weekend, and should embark on 10 next weekend. Let's hope some other TNT folks will be up for joining me on a longer route...

On another note, the Garmin continues to be awesome, especially the wonderful online world of Garmin Connect. I know many of you who read this have known about the wonders of the Garmin products for some time, but I still won't hesitate to share my excitement! :)

Goals for the week:

-log 25-30 miles by Saturday night
-incorporate some cross-training into my schedule (and not just talk about it)
-make yoga a priority next Monday

No comments: