Saturday, July 11, 2009

Ouch...

I woke up early this morning, excited to tackle a hilly 8-miler in PV with the TNT crew. I could tell it was going to be very warm, and we didn't get started until about 7:45am. It was definitely hot, and the run was more difficult than I thought it would be...especially when I bit the dust (literally) around mile 2.

My running partner and I decided to veer off the road and take a trail that leads along one of the many seaside bluffs in the area. This particular trail was less smooth than most, and it didn't take much to send me flying when I tripped over a rock (that seemed to be much bigger, mid-fall). I slid for a few feet across the gravel, and it took me a few seconds to realize I wasn't completely broken. The first thing I noticed were the stinging cuts on my arm and knees. To top it all off, I was also covered in a nice layer of dust and mud. We were off and jogging again after I managed to clean up a bit and gather myself.

About 2 more miles along our route I started feeling pain in my right knee. My left knee actually looks worse, but something is definitely amiss with the other. I feels like a cross between IT pain and bad bruising. I remember thinking to myself that I should stop and walk the rest of the way, but of course I did not.

After multiple rounds of icing, and lots of lounging on the couch, I feel a bit better...but new aches and pains are cropping up. I'm sure the moment of truth will be in the morning, when I get out of bed and try to venture downstairs.

Even though I had grand plans of cross-training tomorrow, I might lay low (or attempt an upper-body workout at the gym). Despite the fall, and subsequent walking breaks, our splits weren't half bad (especially considering the heat and hills):

Split 1- 11:50
Split 2- 12:56
Split 3- 11:28
Split 4- 12:42
Split 5- 11:51
Split 6- 14:45
Split 7- 13:10
Split 8- 10:29

Total time: 1:39:15

2 comments:

Toni said...

I remember thinking to myself that I should stop and walk the rest of the way, but of course I did not.

This is the point where a motherly finger gets waggled.

Jen said...

I know I know...your voice was practically runnng through my head at the time ;p